Benefits of Pilates
Pilates is a physical fitness system that was developed in the early 20th century by Joseph Pilates. Pilates uses correct alignment, centering, concentration, control, precision, breathing, and flowing movement (the Pilates principles) to establish a perfect working body from the inside out.
Pilates classes build strength, flexibility and lean muscle tone with an emphasis on lengthening the body and aligning the spine, rather than on bulking and shortening the muscles.
Some of the health benefits of Pilates include:
- Improved flexibility
- Increased muscle strength and tone, particularly of your ‘core muscles’
- Improved posture
- Improved physical coordination and balance
- Avoid or delay degeneration of the spine
- Rehabilitation or prevention of injuries related to muscle imbalances
- Relaxation of the shoulder/neck/upper back muscles
- Increased lung capacity and circulation through deep breathing
- Improved concentration
- Stress management, relaxation and wellness